Some Facts About Spiders
- Spiderlings or ( young spiders ) can go long distances ( floating on a breeze using a strand of silk.
- The female black widow seldom devours the male after mating.
- Spiders seldom bite people. They only do so by defending themselves.
- There are about 40,000 species of spiders in the world and only about 4000 in the US.
- Some spiders are so small they could balance on the tip of a pencil and some are about fourteen inches in diameter.
- The larger the size does not mean the spider has a larger venom capibility.
- Spider silk is the strongest natural fiber known.
How To Get Rid of Spiders
The best way to get rid of spiders is to prevent them from coming into your home. Trim all shrubs and hedges away from touching your house. If you have a brick home, treat all weep holes. Treat around all doors, windows, eves, cracks and crevices. Caulk all cracks and crevices, doors and windows. Purchase one of those duster type things and weep away all webs.
One of the reasons you might have spiders is because spiders eat insects. Treat your home for other insects regularly and you should have less spiders. However, lady bug beetles also eat other insects. You could get some lady bugs but they can also become a nuisance.
If you have lots of cardboard boxes around just get rid of them. Spiders love to hang around cardboard boxes. One of the reasons you may have spiders in the summertime is that spiders don't like heat. Which is why they come into your home during the summer months for the coolness. They also like to hang around bathrooms and kitchens because there is a water source nearby. I have heard that cats are wonderful for pest control.
If you are seeing web-spinning spiders don't be alarmed. They are beneficial to help you rid your home of insects and they are basically harmless. Beware of wood piles, boxes and sheds and especially dark areas full of clutter. They harbor brown recluse and black widow spiders. You don't want these. If cleaning these areas always wear gloves.
Insect glue boards work great. Place these glue boards in areas that spiders may be found inside the home. Place them behind toilets, under sinks in bathrooms and kitchens. Behind refrigerators, washer and drier, hot water heater and also in attics. You may also place them inside your garage on each side of the garage door. One other thing. Once spiders are in your home, a good vacuum clearner with a hose attachement will work wonders.
This should help you get rid of most of the spiders in and around your home. You will probably never rid you house of all spiders but at least you should be able to keep the population down somewhat.